A triangle is a polygon with 3 sides and 3 angles?
The types of triangles are equilateral, isosceles, scalene, and right.
In this experiment, students will predict the sum of all 3 interior angles of a particular triangle. Then they will predict if the different kinds of triangles have the same sum for their interior angles.
- marker (optional)
- Have students draw 3 different types of triangles and cut out each one.
- Mark each angle. Use a square for right angles and a curved line for all other angles.
- Have the student choose one of the triangles.
- Predict the sum of all 3 interior angles.
- Cut off the corners of the triangle
- Place the cut pieces on a protractor next to each other. (The points of the angles should touch the center of the protractor.)
- What is the sum of all 3 angles?
- Next predict if the answer will be the same for the other triangles.
- Repeat the steps above for the other triangles
- Was the prediction correct? What is the sum of the interior angles in a triangle?
The sum of all the angles in a triangle = 180 degrees.
Have fun with angles!