Having Fun with 2-D shapes.
Can a quarter (a circle) fit through a hole the size of a dime (a circle) ???
Teach this trick to the kids then they can amaze their friends!
- Trace around a dime.
- Cut out the inside of the circle.
- Try to slip the quarter through the hole without tearing the paper.
Are you ready for the solution?
- Fold the paper across the diameter (center) of the circle.
- Now sandwich the quarter between the halves of the circle.
- Pull the sides of the paper upright.
- The quarter will slip through!!!
- The circle turned into an ellipse! That made the diameter of the hole Bigger!
I got this trick from a fun math book!
Real-World Math for Hands-On Fun! (Williamson Kids Can Books)
by Cindy A Litterfield