Triangles are 2D shapes with 3 sides and 3 angles.
There are different kinds of Triangles:
- Equilateral - 3 equal sides and angles
- Isosceles - at least 2 equal sides and angles
- Scalene - no equal sides or angles
- Right - has 1 right (or 90 degree) angle
|Equilateral ....... Isosceles ........... Scalene|
The kids may like to view this video about the different types of triangles. The song about triangles is clever and catchy!
~ Triangle Song
Another video for kids to view is by Scholastic Study Jams.
Here is a 3rd video about triangles.
~Types of Triangles
- After watching the videos students could use manipulatives to create the different types of triangles. They could use straws, craft sticks, popsicle sticks, pipe cleaners, etc. They could also use food items: pretzels, celery sticks, licorice, etc.
- Students could sketch and label a picture of each type of triangle in their math notebook.
- Students could also observe their environment and look for the different types of triangles. How many can they find? Which type is the most common? Which is least common? They could tally and/or graph their data.