- piece of cardboard
- comb/brush (optional)
- Work with a partner.
- Have the partner roll a piece of cardboard around your arm forming a tube. Make sure your elbow is covered.
- Have the partner tape the tube closed. Use 3 or more pieces of tape.
- Now with the tube on your arm try to write your name or the alphabet on a piece of paper.
- Next try to scratch your head or comb/brush your hair.
- If possible, keep the tube on for a couple of minutes and try to do your normal activities.
- Observe how the tube affects your ability to move and do different activities.
- Take off the cardboard and try the same activities without the tube. Observe.
- Compare your ability to do the different activities. What did you observe?
- How do joints help an animal?
Joints give an animal flexibility and the ability to move. Joints help animals bend so they can move easily.
The students can learn more about joints by visiting the following sites: