- long stem white carnation(s)
- food coloring
|Carnations after being in water with red food coloring for 10 hours|
- Place fresh carnations in a container of water.
- Have students observe the carnations and sketch a picture.
- Add approximately 10 drops of food coloring.
- Have students observe the change in color of the water.
- Have the students make a prediction of how the red food coloring might effect the flowers.
- Have the students observe the flowers and sketch a picture again in 24 hours and 48 hours.
- Have students compare and contrast their sketches.
- What happened to the flowers? Why?
|Carnations after being in red food coloring and water for 10 hours|
The stem of a flower is a carrier of water and nutrients from the ground to other parts of the plant.