Create a Mini Green House for Bean Seeds
This activity will help the kids see the actual beginning growth of the bean seeds.
- hand lens
- cup or bowl
- bean seeds
- paper towel
- zip lock bag
- Have students use a hand lens to observe the seeds.
- Have students sketch a picture of the seeds.
- Soak bean seeds in room temperature water for a few hours.
- Have the students observe and sketch the seeds again and note any differences.
- Wet a paper towel and place it in a zip-lock plastic bag.
- Add a few bean seeds to the bag.
- Seal the bag and place it in direct sunlight. (You can even tape the bag to a window sill.)
- Check on the bag each day until the bean seeds have sprouted.
- Carefully remove the seeds from the bag and have the kids again observe and sketch the plant.
- Plant the new sprout in soil.
- Place the plant in the sun and water as needed.
- When the sprouts are 5 inches high, they may be planted outside if desired.