Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Place Value Toss Game

Here's a fun little math game to reinforce PLACE VALUE and the base-ten number system. The students will also COMPARE whole numbers and use TALLY MARKS.

Place Value Game


You will just need a few inexpensive objects.

Materials
  • Large paper/plastic cups
  • small objects such as foam shapes 
  • paper 
  • pencil
  • painter's tape (optional)
  • marker

Players: 2


Place Value - 4 tens and 2 ones



Directions:
  • Label one cup "TENS".
  • Label the other cup "ONES".
  • Place the cups on the floor (tens on the left).
  • Have player #1 stand approximately 3 feet from the cups. (The stating line could be marked with tape, if desired.)
  • He/she tries to toss 9 foam shapes into the cups.
  • He/she then counts out the shapes in the cups and announces his/her numbers.
  • Example: "4 tens and 2 ones = 42"
  • Now player #2 has a turn.
  • The player with the greater number gets 1 point.
  • Players tally the point.
  • The players continue playing for a total of 10 rounds.
  • The player with the most tallies is the winner.

Variations:
  • Use 3 cups to practice Hundreds, Tens, and Ones 
  • Toss 10 or more objects into the cups, if students have already learned regrouping 

I purchased the foam shapes at a Dollar Store. A bag of 50 foam cubes cost $1.00. An added benefit of the foam cubes is that they are nice and quiet when tossed!!! 

Math Manipulative - Foam Cubes




Have fun with math!


9 comments:

  1. What an awesome teaching web-site. I will have to let all my teacher friends know of you. Happy to be your newest follower here. I think I will get some fun learning ideas for summer with my 4 kids :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comments. I will follow you back.
      Marcia :)

      Delete
  2. Very cool!!! We are learning place value and counting by tens right now! This is perfect! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a simple game to teach place value. I love doing learning games with my kids. This is definitely one we'll have to try when the time is right...might be good for my oldest now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun game to teach place value! I love it!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea. I love all the different ideas you have here. Thank you for posting on Saturday Show and Tell. I hope you'll be back this week to share more.
    -Mackenzie
    http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to let you know that you will be featured tonight as one of the top most clicked. Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...