- flashlight or other light source
- opaque object
- Have students PREDICT what will happen when light is blocked by an opaque object.
- Shine a flashlight or other light source on the wall.
- Choose an opaque object to put in front of the light source to block the path of light.
- OBSERVE. (A shadow should form.)
- Have the students RECORD their observation(s) in their science notebooks.
- This same activity can be done outside using the Sun instead of a flashlight!
- Children may enjoy making animal shadows on the wall/ground.
- A nature walk on a sunny day is also fun to observe shadows in nature. (Trees make great shadows!)