- A guitar is a STRING INSTRUMENT.
- When you pluck the strings (rubber bands), they VIBRATE and make a sound.
- box, pan, or other container without a top
- 5-6 rubber bands (all different widths)
- Begin with the widest rubber band and place it around the box.
- Then choose the next widest rubber band and place it approximately 1/2 - 1 inch away from the first rubber band.
- Continue until all the rubber bands are placed around the box.
- Make a prediction about the pitch of sound (lowness and highness) that you will hear as you pluck each string.
- Pluck each string (rubber band).
- Observe the strings vibrate and listen to the sounds.
- What difference is heard in the pitch of sound when plucking the strings?
- Try to play a tune with your new guitar.
Explanation: The wider the string the lower the pitch of the sound. The narrower the string the higher the pitch of sound.