Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Vertebrates (Animals with Backbones) Introduction

Here we are at a new month and it's time to change our topic. Since it's summer and the kids are in a more relaxed mode, we will learn about a topic which lots of kids choose as their absolute favorite topic....animals.  We'll learn about Vertebrates and Invertebrates this summer. We'll add in lots of fun summer reading, some songs,  and lots of arts and crafts.

Introduction

Scientists divide animals into 2 main groups (vertebrates and invertebrates).

Vertebrates are animals with a backbone. This group is subdivided into 5 classes:
  • Mammals
  • Reptiles
  • Amphibians
  • Birds
  • Fish
All other animals are Invertebrates (no backbone).



  • Have children brainstorm and share what they already know about vertebrates and what they would like to learn.
  • Have children run their fingers down the middle of their back to feel their own vertebrae (backbone).


  • Watch this cute video about Vertebrates presently on You Tube.
              Video: Vertebrates and Invertebrates 1

  • Have the kids pull out all their animal books and stuffed animals and start putting them into groups. (Vertebrates and Invertebrates)       

    Animals With Backbones (Kid's Guide to the Classification of Living Things)
                         


                                                           
    Invertebrate Zoology (Real Kids Real Science Books)
     

    Animals Without Backbones (Kid's Guide to the Classification of Living Things)


    Invertebrates (Time for Kids Nonfiction Readers)
     
    • Get ready for a summer of fun with animals!


    Mammals
                                                                    

    Reptiles
                                                                                   

    Reptiles
                                                                                
      Have fun learning about animals!                                                                        

      2 comments:

      1. This is AWESOME! Thanks so much for sharing this! I got my degree in elementary education, so I appreciate a good lesson plan when I see one! :)
        I found you on a Blog Hop. I am your newest follower- and I would love to have you follow me back!
        Camille @
        SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com

        ReplyDelete
      2. I've been following you for quite a while, but I don't think I've ever left a comment. I just wanted to thank you for the simple machines unit you just finished... and now EXACTLY what I've been planning and prepping for fall! THANK YOU! I'm sure I'll be linking back to your blog quite frequently in the fall!

        ReplyDelete

      LinkWithin

      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

      LinkWithin

      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...