A PULLEY is a simple machine with a cord or rope moving around it.
A pulley is used to lift or pull
Examples of objects that use a pulley: flagpole, mini-blind, exercise equipment, heavy machinery
Videos about Pulleys
How Pulleys Work
Mad Scientist Simple Machines - Part 3
The Pulley and How Pulleys Work
Websites about Pulleys
- pulley (can be bought at a hardware store ... cost approx. $2.00)
- rope/heavy duty string
- plastic jug with water or other item to pull
- hook or other place to hang the pulley
- Find a place to attach/hang your pulley (I used the back of a closet door with a hook.
- Thread the rope/string through the pulley.
- Attach the pulley to your hook.
- Tie one end of the rope/string tightly to your plastic jug handle.
- Pull on the end of the rope that is not attached to the plastic jug.(Your jug should move up.)
Activities 2 - 5
- Brainstorm and list as many machines as you can think of that use a pulley.
- Sketch and label some of these machines.
- Go on a scavenger hunt to find pulleys: in the classroom, home, school, or neighborhood. Take pictures and /or sketch pictures of the machines with pulleys.
- Make a poster of machines with pulleys.
- Explain how a pulley works (oral or written).
Have fun with simple machines!