- recycled plastic bottles
- food coloring
- oil (baby oil or vegetable oil)
- mystery liquids ???
- First review that liquids are a state of matter. They keep their size but not their shape. They take the shape of their container.
- Review that oil and water will NOT mix because the oil is lighter or less dense than the water.
- Pour oil and water into a recycled plastic water bottle.
- Observe the liquids. (The oil will rise to the top.)
- Brainstorm with the children other liquids that they could try to use to make a third liquid layer in the recycled bottle..
- Have the children predict a liquid which they think will not mix with either the oil or water.
- Have fun experimenting!
What liquids do the kids suggest? What have you used? Please share your mystery liquids. Can you make a 4th layer?