- clear container
- clear plastic cup
- paper towel
- Fill the container with water.
- Crunch up the paper towel and stuff it completely into the bottom of the plastic container.
- Turn the cup upside down and push it straight down into the container of water. (Do NOT tilt the cup.)
- Lift the cup straight up out of the container.
- Observe the paper towel.
- What happened to the paper towel? (It's amazing! It's completely dry!)
- Does air take up space? (Yes!)
|So coooool. The paper towel is still dry!|
If the cup was tilted sideways, air would escape and water would get inside the cup and wet the paper towel.