A clipboard and pencil always makes them feel "official" but if you don't have a clipboard, they can use their science notebooks.
- First have children make a list of 5-10 mammals. (Older kids can put this list into a table.)
- Then they need to survey their family, friends, classmates, etc. to see which mammals are their favorites.
- They should tally the votes (data).
- Next they could make a frequency chart. (The teacher could make a classroom chart with younger students.)
- Next they could create a bar graph to display their results (data).
- On another day they could repeat the exercise with a different animal class ... reptiles, or birds, or fish, etc.
- Another survey that the students could conduct about animals is finding out how many pets people (friends, classmates, relatives) have. Then they could put this data/information into a table format.