- Are vertebrates
- Are warm-blooded
- Lay eggs
- Have wings
- Most fly
Robin Red Breast
- Have the students brainstorm any characteristics of birds that they already know. (See list above.)
- Share the above list. (Older students can record this list in their science notebooks.)
- Have students brainstorm a list of animals that fit these characteristics.
- Begin a class chart with the students' list of birds. (Add to the chart daily.) Older students can record in their science notebooks.
- Read a book to students about birds or have older students read books individually or with a partner.
- If binoculars are available have students use the binoculars to spot and observe any neighborhood birds.
- Students could observe and sketch pictures of a neighborhood bird in their science notebooks/journals.
- Students could use a camera to take pictures of neighborhood birds.
- Students could use Bird Field Guides to try to identify neighborhood birds.