- small clean, clear, plastic, recycled water bottle with cap
- blue food coloring (1 or 2 drops)
- baby oil
- small plastic fish - must be small enough to fit inside bottle
- small shells or pebbles (optional)
- glue (optional)
- Add sand and shells/pebbles to the bottom of the bottle.
- Add water to fill about 1/2 to 2/3 of bottle.
- Add food coloring and observe it disperse through the water.
- Add baby oil to the bottle so that the bottle is almost full.
- Observe as the baby oil will not mix with the water and food coloring but rises to the top.
- Add the fish to his new home in the ocean.
- Glue the cap if desired.
- The heaviest materials will sink to the bottom (sand, shells, pebbles).
- The water is heavier than the oil so the oil will rise above the water.
Vegetable oil can also be used but it usually is not as clear as the baby oil.
- Read some cool ocean or fish books.