- Start with a large piece of black or blue construction paper. Fold it to make 8 sections (4 on top and 4 on the bottom).
- Cut out the 8 sections.
- Make the Moon Phases from white construction paper. Start with circles all the same size and cut as needed to make the different phase shapes.
- Glue the white Moon phase shapes on the black or blue construction paper and label each phase.
- Have the children place the phases in the correct sequence.
- Mix up the cards and try again.
- Waxing Crescent
- First Quarter
- Waxing Gibbous
- Waning Gibbous
- Last Quarter
- Waning Crescent
Waxing = getting bigger
Waning = getting smaller
With very young students, you may want to eliminate the terms "waxing" and "waning" (and "first" and "last" ) and save them for when the kids are older.
If you'd like some great phases of the Moon flashcards that are already printed and ready to download click here.
|clipart by www.graphicsfactory.com|