Kids usually like to learn the names of all the PLANETS. It's fun for them to memorize their names and order from the Sun.
Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune.
Pluto was reclassified as a dwarf planet in 2006.
The kids might also like to watch this cute video from Brain Pop about Mars.
Click Here: Mars Video
Social Studies + Art
Using a paper plate students can create maps of the Earth showing the continents, oceans, equator, and the cardinal directions.
Also here's a video and song from Schoolhouse Rock about the planets called Interplanet Janet (Solar System) presently on You Tube.
Click Here: Schoolhouse Rock Video & Song
- To tie in a MATH LESSON, use the planet order with the kids in Grades K and 1 to review ORDINAL NUMBERS.....1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. They'll like learning that Earth is the 3rd planet from the Sun.
- Older kids, could do a SURVEY about FAVORITE PLANETS, then TALLY and GRAPH their results.
- If the kids would like to find out their WEIGHT on other planets they can visit the Exploratorium website. The page will also give an explanation of Mass and Weight.
English Language Arts
- Here's a great book about the Solar System from The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library of nonfiction books (for beginning readers) by Dr. Suess Enterprises for your child to read or for you to read to your child.
- Also as an ELA tie-in the kids could use the planet names as spelling words this week, put the names into alphabetical order, and write an essay about their favorite planet or start a lapbook about one or all of the planets.
Please click on the fence to give this website a vote. Thanks! :)