Thursday, January 20, 2011

Creating a Magnetic Caterpillar and Butterfly

Arts and Crafts, Science, Math, and Reading

Here's an Arts and Crafts Project from a November 2010 post on Animals. I'm repeating it because it uses a magnet.




Materials Needed:
  • clothespin
  • magnetic tape (cut to same length as clothespin)
  • small cotton pom poms (green or other fun colors) (approx. 5)
  • white glue
  • googly eyes (2)
  • scissors 
Directions:
  1. Stick the magnetic tape to the bottom of the clothespin. 
  2. Glue the pom poms to the top of the clothespin. 
  3. Then glue the eyes to the front pom pom (the end of the clothespin that opens).
Eric Carle's book, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, is awesome to use for reading or science.

____________________________________________________________________


Another simple Arts and Crafts Project that uses magnets are these wooden butterflies.





Materials Needed:
  • wooden butterfly shape
  • magnetic tape (cut to width of butterfly)
  • glitter glue (or paint, crayons, or markers)
Directions:
  1. Stick the magnetic tape to the bottom of the wooden butterfly shape.
  2. Decorate the top of the butterfly with the glitter glue (or paint, crayons, or markers).
  3. Let the glitter glue dry overnight. 

    The glitter glue usually takes 24 hours to dry, but I think it's worth the wait because the finished projects always look amazing!  :)



    This activity can also be used as a math lesson on symmetry.


    2 comments:

    1. I love this project. That is one of our favorite books!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi Shannon,
      Thanks! I just went to your blog and I love it.
      I love that you recycle and the projects are adorable. I'd like to add some links from your site to my blog if it's OK with you. Your toilet paper caterpillar will go great with my Animals Theme, and later when I do Sound I can add a link to your musical instruments. I also liked you on facebook to follow your projects.
      Great to "meet" you.
      Best regards,
      Marcia :)

      ReplyDelete

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...