Here are directions to make a simple basic barometer. It will record if the air pressure is rising or dropping.
- recycled small clear plastic bottle
- 3 pencils
- food coloring
- Tape 3 pencils to the outside of the plastic bottle. Make sure the ends of the pencils are even and stick out above the top of the bottle.
- Put a small mound of clay on the end of each pencil.
- Half fill the bowl and the bottle with water. Add food coloring if desired.
- Cover the mouth of the bottle with your hand then carefully turn it upside down and place it in the bowl.
- Mark the water level in the bottle with a small piece of colored tape or a permanent marker.
- Each morning and afternoon check the water level. Is it the same or is it above or below the mark on the bottle.
- Record the data in a science notebook/journal.
- Compare morning and afternoon readings.
- Compare different days.
- Graph the data.