|2D Heart Person - Fun with Math Shapes|
- construction or computer paper
- google eyes (optional)
- Draw or trace a heart shape onto construction paper. (This is the body.)
- Recreate the shape 4 more times in a smaller version (for hands and feet).
- Cut out the 5 shapes.
- Cut 4 strips of paper (approximately 1 inch wide). (The heart shapes and strips could be pre-made and already cut for younger students.)
- Accordian fold the strips. These will be the arms and legs.
- Use glue or stapes to attach all the pieces.
- Draw facial features and/or add google eyes.
- Hang on wall, bulletin board, etc.
Common Core Aligned
This heart shaped craft can be a good introduction to a study or review of 2D Shapes (geometry). The Common Core Standards have students in kindergarten identifying squares, circles, triangles, rectangles, and hexagons. Grade 1 students also need to compose trapezoids. Grade 2 students need to also recognize and draw quadrilaterals and pentagons.
As a follow-up, students could make other 2D people. Please click on the link below to see an earlier post with Cecil Circle, Olivia Octagon, etc.