Here's a fun Summer Activity for the kids that involves a Beach Ball and Addition!
- beach ball
- permanent marker
- adhesive labels (optional)
- Draw a line around the middle of the beach ball (similar to the equator on a globe).
- In each section of the beach ball write a numeral from 0 - 9. Use adhesive labels if you prefer not to write on the beach ball.
- Children stand in a circle. If there are only 2 players, then the players stand across from each other.
- Players toss the ball to each other.
- The person receiving the ball, must notice in which sections their right and left thumbs are located.
- He/she must state an addition number sentence (equation) using the numbers indicated by his/her thumbs. Example 2 + 3 = 5.
- Then the beach ball is tossed to another player who must also state a number sentence using the numbers that correspond to the sections of the beach ball where his/her thumbs are located.
- Have fun!
- Multiply the numbers instead of adding them
- Subtract the smaller number from the larger number instead of adding the numbers.
- Write sight words on the beach ball instead of numbers and have children announce the letters (spell the word) then read the word(s).