Saturday, January 28, 2012

Using Robert Frost's Poem Stopping by Woods with Children

I've always loved Robert Frost's poem Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening. A Weather Unit is only one of  many, many different times to introduce this wonderful and timeless poem to children. Of course the illustrated version by award-winning illustrator Susan Jeffers is just gorgeous!




I like to read the poem to children first without showing them the illustrations. I like to have the students close their eyes and pretend that they are there in the woods. They talk about what they see and hear in the woods. Then I show the students Susan Jeffers illustrations and they talk about how their visions of the woods were similar or different.




Here are some pictures from a class of mine that decided that they wanted to create their own illustrations. Each child or pair of children chose one or two lines of the poem and together they made their own illustrated copy of Robert Frost's poem. Then they scanned all their pictures and downloaded them onto the computer. Finally they put their book into a PowerPoint Slide Show and shared it with family and friends.



.



The kids loved this project but there are so many different follow-up activities that can be done with this book. If you have not used this book yet with children, I highly recommend it. It is truly a book for young and old!



  Have fun!





7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea! Wasn't aware there was such a beautifully illustrated book that went along with this beautiful poem. Sounds like I need to check it out of the library and read it to my little guy soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, You and your little guy will love it. I can see the two of you snuggled up on a cold winter's night reading it together. It also has lovely pictures of animals which will really appeal to little kids. Hope it's available at your library.
    Marcia :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea!! What age group do you recommend it for? I just checked and my local library has it so I'm going to look at it. Thank you for sharing it at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marcia:
    You've been tagged!
    Please come by Joy in Sixth and check it out!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    Here I am again, visiting from Alexa.I also added you in my list.

    Visit me here:
    http://www.traveltomydreams.com/
    http://freethoughts.info/
    http://thebusinessmindedmom.com/

    Thank you

    Lady

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that poem too, visiting from the alexa blog hop...
    ~JamieS

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...